One of the biggest critical parts in choosing a wig is natural or synthetic. Which is best for you? Here I’m going to describe about both natural and synthetic wigs. Now days the synthetic fibers used in making wigs look far more realistic than in previous generations, but remember natural is natural though modern synthetic wigs improve day by day. It’s not bad now. Follow a comparison of the pros and cons of both synthetic and natural hair wig:
The Common Difference natural or synthetic:
It is easy way to identify if a wig is made with natural or synthetic hair is to pull a strand out of the wig and burn it. Natural hair will burn slowly and give off a distinctive odor on the other hand synthetic hair will usually tend to melt and/or ball up when placed near flame, its depends on the particular composition of the synthetic fiber or will burn out quickly.
Advantages of Natural Hair Wigs:
• More realistic appearance than synthetic wigs
• greater durability than synthetic fiber
• the same maintenance and styling requirements as your real hair; can be
custom-colored to suit; and can tolerate heat from styling appliances
Disadvantages of Natural Hair Wigs:
• Human hair wig react to climate as the way your real hair does. It may frizz or lose curl in humid weather.
• Natural Hair must be reset or restyled after use shampoo, which can be killing your busy time.
• Color will be fade or oxidize with exposure to light
• Hair will break if mistreated by harsh brushing
• It can be heavier than synthetic wigs of similar style/length
• You have to high price for natural hair wig
Advantages of Synthetic Hair:
• Advance technology have produce modacrylic synthetics (like kanekalon) which are so similar in look and feel to real hair that they can fool some stylists.
• Synthetic hair look realistic, but they are less expensive than natural hair; it is also easier to maintain at home, shampooing with cold water will not change the style.
• synthetic wigs tend to be made according to current styles with shape, color and texture already set; usually only needs custom trimming to be ready to wear
• unlimited color availability from natural to fantasy colors, cheapest wig styles tend to be more solid in color, while higher-quality synthetics have blended colors for natural looking hair
• synthetic colors will not fade or oxidize even after long periods in direct sunlight
• tend to be lighter in weight, thus more comfortable to wear and style
Disadvantages of Synthetic Hair:
• Don’t use hair dryers, synthetic hair cannot tolerate extreme heat, hot-rollers, also avoid flat irons and curling irons
• traditional hair color will not work with synthetic fibers wigs; recolor synthetic wigs is not recommended
• Sometime scalp will not comfortable with synthetic wigs specially in hot weather.
From this description, there are a number of features that speak for and against each type of wig. The summary is to figure out what you are looking for from your wig and choose accordingly.